Every drop of recycled water used is a drop of drinking water saved. This value is critical to “drought-proofing” our region. Thus, the community benefits of recycled water are enormous. Here are just a few advantages of recycled water:
- Cost Effectiveness: Recycled water can be far cheaper than imported or other water supplies. This helps stabilize rates region-wide.
- Energy Reduction: It takes energy to create recycled water, but it takes far more to pump a gallon of water from Northern California or the Colorado River.
- Ecosystems: Recycled water can be used to restore or enhance natural habitats. This helps protect sensitive species and maintain a balanced ecosystem.
- Reliability: Recycled water is a very reliable source that can withstand extreme pressures such as times of drought. This provides a community with assurance that their water needs will be met even when other sources of water are scarce.
- Plant Health: Irrigating with recycled water can benefit a plant’s health. Certain nutrients can remain and can add value to grass and/or plants.